Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Grant Morrison: Mercenary Or Awesome?

The Red Bee -- Apparently A Favorite DC Character To Pitch

Just a footnote to this quote by "James" on Grant Morrison spotlighted by today's Journalista:

"During the brief time I worked at DC, it was interesting to contrast Morrison's proposals to others'.

Morrison's proposals were always driven by economics and re-establishing brand identity. This is what DC Comics are good at; this is an untapped market need; these characters are valid trademarks and can perhaps be rehabilitated into spin-off children's cartoons.

I'm not clear whether Morrison can take this approach because of his high level of authority within the DC creative structure... or whether Morrison attained his high level of authority because of that economically-minded approach.

But for all of his reputation as a madcap, drug-addled sentimentalist, his approach is extremely mercenary. Nobody else apparently gave any thought to such matters in pitching new series, and it shows."

What I remember -- granted (pun!) this was several years ago --

Grant (and many other writers) would pitch stories and series featuring really obscure DC characters. And I'm not sure if there was a tacit understanding between him and management that he was creating these characters to extend "brand equity."

Specifically, I remember the complaint (and this wasn't just regarding Grant):

"All they're giving me is Red Bee pitches! Rag Man and Red Bee pitches!"

If anything, the "crew" were a little exasperated that Grant chose to focus on those characters more than, say Superman. And so what you really had was more of a trade-off -- "I'll see you your obscure mini-series for one blockbuster Superman series."

Which makes Grant a little less of a "mercenary" and more like, say, Owen Wilson.

Owen Wilson does awesome arty movies (either as an actor or behind-the-scenes), and then he does "Shanghai Express IV." He does "Shanghai Express IV" in order that he can do awesome arty movies.

Let's take another look at Owen, just for my edification:


See? "Drillbit Taylor" -- but also the writer of "Rushmore." And rocks a Black Sabbath T-Shirt.

And if he was a comic book writer? Red Bee pitch. Absolutely.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar